Technology Accelerator Fund
TAF Class of 2018!
The proposal submission period for the TAF Class of 2018 is now CLOSED!
The Technology Accelerator Fund (TAF) helps faculty inventors and scientists turn their research into market-ready technologies.
A significant obstacle to the development and transfer of university technology is the lack of funding for promising discoveries after government-sponsored support ends and before a licensee or venture-capital support is identified and secured. Funding at this stage is essential to bring to market technology that has potential implications for public benefit. The TAF program helps to bridge that gap for SUNY researchers.
Funded by the State University of New York, TAF targets critical research and development milestones - such as feasibility studies, prototyping and testing - which demonstrate that an idea or innovation has commercial potential. The goal is to increase their attractiveness to potential investors.
TAF funding is awarded through a competitive process. Factors considered for the awards include the availability of intellectual property protection, marketability, commercial potential, feasibility and breadth of impact. Read about previous TAF awardees.
TAF's success and overall ROI can be quantified by using the following metrics:
- Average Technology Readiness Level Advancement (average valuation increase to invested asset): +3
- Collateral revenue returns (other revenue to campuses, e.g., sponsored programs revenue for clinical testing, SBIR subcontracts, etc.): $5,990,946.12
- External investments in technology (commercialization investments from other sources, e.g., angel investors, SBIR primes, etc.): $9,341,646.00
- Commercialization revenue returns (royalty realized by campuses in cash and equity to date): $236,030.99
- Cash returns to TAF (10% of commercialization revenue returns reinvested in TAF program): $23,603.10
- Partnered Technologies Conversion Rate: 35%
Since the program launched in 2011, SUNY and the RF have invested over $2.6 million to successfully advance the commercial readiness of 46 SUNY innovations. The program has also catalyzed the investment of an additional $14.5 million from external partners, including federal agencies, industry licensees and angel investors.
For more information about TAF: firstname.lastname@example.org