Training for New Hires
Welcome to the Research Foundation for SUNY.
The first days, weeks, and months of a new job are filled with excitement, a wealth of information, and many questions. This site provides the key information new employees should know to excel in their roles at the RF and a roadmap to help determine when to tackle each new on-boarding task.
Additional learning and development goals specific to your role and campus can be found at your worksite and discussed with your supervisor or local HR Officer.
Click here for a pdf to check off your progress as you go.
Click here to see our Top 10 Learning Opportunities.
Review sample new employee checklist:
Watch welcome video from RF President Dr. Jeff Cheek:
Learn more about the organization:
- Welcome to the RF Overview
- Sponsored Programs, Technology Transfer & Finance 101
- Corporate Governance and Compliance
- Review Annual Report
- Central Office Organization Charts
Receive answers to your benefits questions:
- Visit the benefits website.
- Contact your campus administrator for specific questions.
Get help with common tasks:
*This tool is specific to Binghamton, ESF, Buffalo State, Oneonta, New Paltz, SUNY Downstate and Central Office.
Complete critical online training:
- Preventing Discrimination and Harassment
- Information Security
These online trainings can be accessed from WeComply. All new RF employees are automatically assigned a WeComply account. SUNY employees who work on RF business may also be assigned a WeComply account. For Questions on the process of obtaining or using WeComply please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit the Learning Tuesdays webpage:
- Learning Tuesdays are Live-streaming 45-90-minute trainings on topics that span SUNY’s research enterprise.
- Sign up for upcoming sessions as they are announced.
- Visit the Past Programs Page to watch previous episodes. Search by keyword to find episodes that interest you in your role at the RF.
Watch “Power & Privilege in the Workplace”:
Visit NCURA website:
- Subscribe to NCURA YouTube Channel **Optional: Based on your role.
Sign up for SPA Fundamentals:
- SPA Fundamental is an online course (available by request within WeComply) that guides employees through the requirements and protocols of grants management, providing participants with the skills and knowledge they need to assist and guide faculty researchers.
- **Please coordinate with your Campus Training Contacts to request a license to access the course.
Watch Solutions for Information Overload and Multitasking (Optional)
Write a professional development plan:
Check the Learning & Development Calendar for a list of current offerings.
Learn about the Mentoring Program.
Learn about the Leadership Academy.
Training for AP / Purchasing Staff
- Access to Org Campus Supplier Update
- Supplier File Reference Guide
- Supplier File Naming Standards
- Process Help
- Complete Supplier File Basics course in WeComply. Email email@example.com to be assigned the course.
*Notes: New RF employees are automatically assigned a WeComply account where they can access a library of online trainings and be assigned job specific online trainings. SUNY employees who work on RF business may also be assigned a WeComply account. For Questions on the process of obtaining or using WeComply please email firstname.lastname@example.org.