Moving Expense Reimbursement
Moving expense reimbursement is an incentive (not a requirement) used to attract some employment candidates to the Research Foundation (RF).
Eligibility must be approved prior to the appointment of the employee and is contingent upon its necessity as an incentive for hire. All reimbursement is subject to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax guidelines and sponsor policy. Refer to Moving Expense Reimbursement IRS Requirements for more information.
Applicability of Policy
The Moving Expense Reimbursement Policy applies only to reimbursement for expenses associated with moving household or personal items. A list of reimbursable and nonreimbursable expenses is provided in this document.
Expenses incurred for moving business-related items (such as lab equipment) are not subject to the restrictions and limitations of this policy. Reimbursements of this type are made as a standard vendor payment, but must be approved by the operations manager and meet all additional payment review requirements.
A person may be eligible for reimbursement if he or she is
- appointed for more than one year to a full-time Research Foundation administered project or administrative position, or
- a Research Foundation employee transferred to another location for the convenience of the Research Foundation
The following moving expenses are reimbursable:
- basic costs of loading, transporting, and unloading household and personal goods. Handling costs for such items as
pianos, refrigerators, and freezers are also considered basic costs.
- storing and warehouse handling fees for household and personal goods. Expenses incurred for up to 30 days for
goods in-transit (maximum of 12,000 pounds).
- transportation costs for the employee and family members. Expenses incurred by the employee and family in moving
to the new location by the shortest highway route are reimbursed at the IRS mileage rate for moving expenses.
Reimbursement is made at this rate for one automobile, regardless of the number owned or the actual methods of
transportation used. The maximum claim for reimbursement for costs when a commercial carrier or rented commercial
truck or trailer is not used is $200.
- packing and/or unpacking costs for household and personal goods.
- lodging and meals.
The Research Foundation does not reimburse employees for moving expenses for items that are not household or personal items under this policy, including the following:
- automobiles and other motor vehicles (excluding the cost of transportation as described in the Reimbursable Expenses
- trailers other than house trailers used as an employee's residence
- building materials
- animals other than household pets
- belongings that are not the employee’s, or his or her family’s, property
- belongings related to a commercial enterprise engaged in by an employee or a member of the employee's family
- recreational equipment that requires special handling (e.g., boats)
For instructions on requesting and processing reimbursements, refer to the document "Moving Expenses: Requesting and Processing Reimbursements."
- June 19, 2009 - Changed maximum reimbursement amount from $3,000 to 12,000 lbs.
- February 23, 2004 - Convert and update pa-a-20 from Payroll Manual. Title changed from "Policy and Guidelines
for Moving Expense Reimbursement" to "Moving Expense Reimbursement Guidelines." Policy moved into new
document "Moving Expense Reimbursement Policy."
Was this document clear and easy to follow? Please send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 2011 The
Research Foundation of State University of New York