Moving Expense Reimbursement Policy
The following criteria must be met for the Research Foundation to reimburse moving expenses:
- the claim must be made within 60 days of the effective date of the appointment.
- the items moved must be household and personal goods. Household and personal goods include reasonable
items of furniture (couches, lamps), furnishings, clothing (including children's clothing), appliances, tools,
and equipment (lawn mowers, etc.).
- the sponsor must allow the expenditure(s).
- funds must be available to cover the expenditure(s).
- the distance between the old and new place of employment must meet IRS standards. Refer to
Moving Expense: IRS Requirements for Reimbursement.
- total reimbursement for all moving expenses may not exceed 12,000 lbs.
The operations manager at operating locations or the RF president at central office, or the OM's or President's designee may waive any of the above criteria when
- there are no sponsor restrictions against such a waiver and
- waiving the criteria benefits the Foundation or SUNY.
For More Information
- September 28, 2011 - Updated Management Waiver section
- April 19, 2011 - Fixed broken hyperlink for IRS Publication 521
- June 19, 2009 - Changed reimbursement amount from $3,000 to 12,000 lbs.
- February 23, 2004 - Converted policy block of pa-a-20 from Payroll Manual to new policy document.
Was this document clear and easy to follow? Please send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 2012 The
Research Foundation for The State University of New York