Technology Accelerator Fund
Technology Accelerator Fund Most Valuable Pitch
SUNY Polytechnic Institute, Albany, NY
September 17, 2019
New this year to the Technology Accelerator Fund (TAF) is the Most Valuable Pitch (“MVP”) Competition. The competition is an opportunity for SUNY startups to compete for a TAF investment of up to $50,000 to support fulfillment of development and commercialization of new products and services that transform lives.
The 2019 TAF MVP Competition will be held during the SBIR Road Tour on September 17 at SUNY Polytechnic Institute’s Albany campus where TAF MVP finalists will deliver a five-minute pitch and compete for one award of up to $50,000.
Who is eligible:
- Startups that are licensees (or soon to be licensees) of SUNY technology.
- Startups that are tenants or participants of one of SUNY’s business incubator or accelerator programs.
What do you win:
Up to $50,000 award
Where do you compete:
SUNY Polytechnic Institute in Albany, NY
When does it happen:
- Applications are due September 3, 2019
- Finalist pitches are September 17, 2019
How do you win:
Follow the guidelines and complete a 2-page proposal and quad chart.
All TAF MVP Proposal should be submitted to TAF@rfsuny.org no later than September 3, 2019.
About the SUNY Technology Accelerator Fund
The SUNY Technology Accelerator Fund (“TAF”) provides funding to support the advancement of SUNY innovations from the lab to the marketplace. Since it’s launch in 2011, TAF has invested over $2.8 million to bring SUNY technologies to life! With its most recent funding round closing just a few months ago TAF has invested in 50 SUNY innovations to advance their commercial readiness. TAF has catalyzed the investment of an additional $14.5 million from external partners, including federal agencies, industry partners, and private investors. Additionally, thirteen TAF-supported technologies are currently partnered with startups specifically formed to commercialize them.
TAF's success and overall ROI can be quantified by using the following metrics:
- Average Technology Readiness Level Advancement (average valuation increase to invested asset): +3
- Collateral revenue returns (other revenue to campuses, e.g., sponsored programs revenue for clinical testing, SBIR subcontracts, etc.): $5,990,946.12
- External investments in technology (commercialization investments from other sources, e.g., angel investors, SBIR primes, etc.): $9,341,646.00
- Commercialization revenue returns (royalty realized by campuses in cash and equity to date): $236,030.99
- Cash returns to TAF (10% of commercialization revenue returns reinvested in TAF program): $23,603.10
- Partnered Technologies Conversion Rate: 35%