RF Distributes Royalty Income to Investors and SUNY Campuses

RF Financial Concepts 101 

Understanding the Business of the RF


Module 2: Understanding How the RF Uses Funds

RF Distributes Royalty Income to Investors and SUNY Campuses

Royalty income that is derived from the commercialization of an invention is distributed to the inventor and the SUNY campus. Typically, 40% of royalties from an invention goes to the inventor. The remaining 60% is used to support SUNY research programs as outlined in the RF Patents and Inventions Policy [link]. The Bayh-Dole Act requires that royalties must be used to support research and education.

 

What the Data Shows

The 40% share of royalties paid to inventors is expected to be $3.7 million in 2015. The 60% share of royalties for campuses falls under "Campus operations and research support" in the chart below.

Academic standards portal technology to support K-12 education is an example of a licensed invention that generates funds.

The RF licensed the technology, which was developed at the University at Buffalo, to 3rd Learning. The portal technology, which provides educators access to standard-aligned teaching resources, has more than 500,000 registered users in New York, Pennsylvania and Texas as well as in Turkey. Several other states are considering using the portal technology.

Royalty Income Chart

Where to Find More Information 

This chart is included in the 2015 Operating Plan